The Biden Administration’s Office of Gun Violence Prevention is intensifying efforts to push states into adopting radical gun control laws, signaling a major federal move against Second Amendment rights. Spearheaded by Kamala Harris, this office orchestrates strategies for gun control at the state level.
The administration’s so-called “Safer States Initiative” outlines a six-step action plan:
- Establish State Offices of Gun Control: Promoting state-level bureaucracies to focus on gun control, utilizing taxpayer funds.
- Promote State-based Gun Control: Pushing states to fund community anti-violence programs and enforce controversial red flag gun confiscation laws.
- Undermine Survivors and Victims: Proposes policies that might inadvertently protect criminals, while removing the obligation of victim cooperation with law enforcement.
- Promote Dangerous Storage Requirements: Introduces DOJ’s model legislation for punitive storage requirements, in direct conflict with Supreme Court rulings on self-defense.
- Universal Gun Registry: Encourages states to criminalize private firearm transfers and include juvenile records in background checks.
- Penalize Firearms Industry: Calls for states to impose liability on gun manufacturers for third-party misuse and ban popular semi-automatic firearms.
This strategy represents a federal encroachment on states’ rights and a direct challenge to gun owners’ constitutional freedoms, further blurring the lines between public safety and political control over firearms.
The Office of Gun Violence Prevention, while portraying itself as a guardian of public safety, seems more inclined towards eroding the fundamental rights of law-abiding citizens under the guise of combating gun violence.